Public Information Specialist
Location - Nassau County
Public Information Specialist with Nassau County
TEMP TO HIRE opportunity $23.29/hr.
To apply complete the application at www.satillatemps.com and send resume to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Public Information Specialist
Purpose and General Summary of Job:
The fundamental purpose of this position is to develop, support, coordinate, manage and implement internal and external communications for the Clerk of Court’s Office.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Handles sensitive and confidential issues while responding to and monitoring public records requests for the media and the general public.
2. Reviews exemptions and redactions, and facilitates staff compliance according to Public Records Law. Determines if further review by legal council is required.
3. Plans, coordinates and executes specific multi-media and public awareness programs and special events on behalf of the Clerk.
4. Responsible for release of public information and serves as the Clerk’s spokesperson, at his request.
5. Prepares informational press releases, including oral, written and visual presentations, etc., for internal and external use, as requested. Coordinates the development and distribution of information regarding programs, services, activities, issues, policies and procedures, including a citizen’s newsletter.
6. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with news media and all internal and external departments that deal with the Clerk of the Circuit Court and Comptroller’s Office.
7. Monitors media coverage and responds to media inquiries.
8. Attends outside functions as requested by the Clerk or Chief of Operations.
9. Chairs the Web Committee and ensures the Clerk’s website is accurate, informative and up-to-date.
10. Performs all other duties and/or projects as assigned by the Clerk or Chief of Operations.
Discretion and Judgment Decisions:
Limited supervision. Work is performed to a large extent on own responsibility after assignment, with some choice of method. Occasionally develops own method. Incumbent receives clear instructions from Clerk or Chief of Operations.
Major impact of decisions with serious public or operational impact. This position involves full and complete access to reports, records, plans, and programs where utmost integrity and legal compliance is required to safeguard the Clerk’s interests.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Four-year degree or related equivalent experience required.
• Must have three (3) to five (5) years of related experience.
• Must be able to operate general office equipment, especially a computer and calculator.
• Must be able to comprehend, speak and write the English language.
• Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various news media, public agencies, Clerk personnel and the general public.
• Must have some accounting/financial skills.
• Must be analytical and able to implement strategic planning.
• Must possess social media skills.
• Must have working knowledge of public records and sunshine law.
• Must have workable knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office software and the internet.
• Must have the ability to assemble, organize, and present information.
• Regularly interacts with the media and general public, in person and on the phone, dealing with information regarding public records.
• Regularly interacts with Clerk staff at all levels.
• Regularly interacts with advisory boards, citizen groups and governmental officials upon the request of the Clerk or Chief of Operations.
• Work is performed in normal office environment with little or no exposure to hazards.
• Work is performed exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
• Work requires sitting, basic keyboarding or other repetitive motions approximately 50 percent of the time.
• Work requires bending, standing, stooping and reaching while retrieving and re-filing files, etc.
• Work requires seeing, talking and hearing constantly while answering phones, assisting customers, etc.
• Some travel required to attend meetings, seminars, training sessions, etc.
1. A review of this description has separated the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All main duties and requirements are essential job functions.
2. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
3. All job requirements are subject to possible modification by the Nassau Clerk of Court as deemed necessary.
4. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees, or other customers.
5. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
6. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
To apply for this position, please click here.